Branded App by Wix webinar recap - ask your questions here!

Thanks everyone who joined our recent webinar on how to turn Branded App into a new revenue stream.

One of our partners @theassuretechteam shared some insights on what he has been building for his clients, how to price it and how does that help his agency and clients be perceived as a premium business using Branded App by Wix.

You asked a lot of questions and I’m sure there are more questions coming from Partners watching the webinar recap, so feel free to ask them in the comments below!

Some of your questions answered:

What is the process to upload an app to the Google Play Store and the Apple App store?
The process to upload your app to the App Store and Google Play is done mostly by the Branded App by Wix Team. In order for us to upload your app to the stores, you’ll follow our step-by-step guide to create an Apple & Google Developer account as well as give Wix permission to manage your account.

How is an app better than a mobile version of my site?
A mobile app and mobile web bowser are very different experiences for users. A mobile app is built to be much more intuitive to users, faster when it comes to loading pages and completing transactions. Mobile apps allow for push notifications which are 3x more effective than marketing emails and they direct users to a specific places in your app. Another benefit of a mobile app over a mobile browser is that many features work when a device is offline. Studies show that apps are more engaging to users and have a higher return rate than mobile browsers.
Let’s take Facebook for example, you can use Facebook from its mobile browser but it’s a totally different experience from using Facebook mobile app.

When will the preview app for iOS start working?
Currently, we are limited by Apple’s App Store guidelines when it comes to a preview app for iOS users. We can’t allow our users to download a preview app on iOS devices until they create an Apple Developer account. In the upcoming weeks we will release a new Preview App for iOS which will allow iOS users to preview their app before they submit it to be available on the App Store at any stage of their app creation.

Can you explain the difference between Branded App and Spaces by Wix?
Branded App by Wix gives you the ability to create a fully branded mobile app with no Wix branding. This means that your clients business name and logo will be seen in the App Store & Google Play and will also be downloaded on to users mobile devices. The Space by Wix app is more of a market place, it provides a mobile experience for your clients business, but their “space” on the app will be one of many.
If your client is looking to take their business to the next level and build strong brand credibility then Branded App by Wix is for them.

Note: It’s important to understand that Branded App is not for everyone, for example if you have a small burger shop with 1 branch you probably don’t need a mobile app. In that case, you can use Dine by Wix or Spaces which are free and act as a hub for many businesses.

Can we use custom Velo applications/functions that we have developed on the web on Branded App by Wix?
Velo section (custom code pages in the app) are currently not supported. This is a request that is in high demand and we are working on releasing a beta version later this year.

Is there a members feature on the app? That is, can a user create a profile and have a more personalized experience
Yes, Branded App by Wix offers many members features. You can choose to have all app users sign in as members before they view the app or only sign in if they want to do an action (ex. book something, write a blog post, buy a product and more). You can also customize certain app pages to be for certain app members only, you can add a business profile, show your members profiles, chat with members and much more.

Can you add a paywall before users log in into the app? Like a paid community?
There are 2 options:

1. As an owner you can manually approve members, so in this case you could approve only the users who paid;
  2. You can hide certain content and show them only to members who paid for the service.

Is it possible to build an app without a website? For example for a trade show?
Yes. However, a website is required for technical purposes to create the initial app, but it can be empty and not published so it would be as if there was no website.

I just want to know what I should charge to build one!
You can choose the pricing model that suit you, here are our recommendations:

1. One-time fee: Bill customers for the product cost, plus your fee, all on one invoice. You can choose to invoice clients hourly or by the project.
  2. Design and maintenance fees: Charge your clients a one-time design and development fee and then bill separately for ongoing updates and changes.
  3. Monthly or annual fee: Invoice your clients all at once with your fees and the product cost. In this method, your client will pay you directly and you’ll cover all payments to Wix.
    Of course you can go with any other way you find that suit your needs.
    ** please take into consideration that there are additional fees to Apple (from $99 a year) and Google ($25 on time) for the Developer accounts.*

Is it possible to use different features on the app than on the website?
Yes, for example you can add podcast feature only for your mobile members, to encourage them to download your app. You can even customize specific features to be shown only on iOS or Android devices.

Do page customizations designed for the website (e.g., Store checkout workflow) work on the branded app (they don’t work on Spaces by Wix)?
Unfortunately, we currently don’t support this however, it is in our plans to support this in the future.

Can you build the app on a computer or only on a phone?
Building a Branded App is done from your computer and on mobile. We’re working on a desktop editor where you’ll be able to customise the app from the desktop as well.

Will there be the ability to live stream on the app?
Yes, you can add YouTube on your app and stream live from there (we’ve already seen some users doing it - works great)

What happens if a client discontinues a Wix Website? Will the app continue to function properly?
Branded App plan is a separated Premium Plan from the website plans, so you can have a Branded App without a website Premium Plan.

If you sign up on the app for a membership, would that membership work on the site and vice versa?
Yes! both content and membership is shared between mobile app and website.

Thanks!
Edu

#brandedapp

5 Likes

I have a question when will Partners earn points for selling this product?

For clarity, on our partner dashboard we earn point for the wix premium plan and editor x but this is another wix premium offer and i am asking why we don’t earn rewards for the up sell?

It was time to get updates on this great tool.

Thank you very much for not forgetting us and we will continue very close to the updates.

1 Like

Hey Liric, Thanks :slight_smile:
We are still thinking about how to handle this move. Our decision will be communicated once we’ve made it. To be transparent, it might take a while :pray:

1 Like

Thanks Tierra :raised_hands:

1 Like

Hello,

Are there any updates regarding the plans mentioned In the recap?

For my concern, is it planned to support Wix Multilingual ? Growing my business in an international environnement requires to address his customers in their language :wink:

Thanks,
Guillaume

My clients site used pricing plans to purchase lessons in bulk that can be applied to single session lessons.

I’m just about ready to launch his Wix Branded App but read that pricing plans do not work with Apple?

Is there a plan to make the pricing plans compatible with Apple apps soon?

What are some workaround options or creative alternative ways to set this up on the backend?

I see almost every fitness app offering memberships or package options within there apps so there must be another solution. Any ideas/solutions would be greatly appreciated!