I receive a "forbidden" error accessing just two out of 45 documents in my CMS collection. Why?

,

I’m having trouble with
I have a CMS collection full of club newsletters. Entries in the collection comprise fields for the date and title of the newsletter and a copy of the PDF file. There are two entries, from a total of 40+, which don’t display on the page and won’t open or download from the administration console.

When I choose “download document” or “open document” on the admin console, I get a screen saying “forbidden” with the URL of the document displayed.

When I go to the live site, the repeater displays an entry for each newsletter with a download button so users can read it. Clicking that button also produces the “forbidden” screen.

The inaccessible documents are not the oldest nor the newest in the collection.

Working in
Wix Editor (I think - not sure how I tell)

I haven’t seen this exact case, so treat this as a starting point. A “forbidden” on individual files usually points to those two files rather than the collection itself. For the two entries that fail, open the item, remove the PDF from the field, rename the file to a plain name with no spaces or special characters, re-upload it, and publish. Then check the file in Media Manager and make sure its link opens. If it still fails, reply with what the Media Manager entry shows and we can dig further.

If this helped, please mark it as Solved.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Unfortunately, while I can remove the offending files from their CMS entries, I cannot open or download them to follow your advice.

I was, however, able to find the original files elsewhere and replace the ‘forbidden’ files. Access is no longer forbidden which does seem to confirm that the fault was with the individual files.

I can understand a corrupted pdf not opening but I don’t see how the corruption would prevent a download. And, in either case, I don’t see why a corrupt file would cause an http-403 (forbidden) error on access.

Whatever the root cause, I seem to have resolved (or hidden) it so I hope this won’t occur again.