Option to set a maximum fixed width on desktop

Feature Request: Please, for the love of god, make an easy, site-wide setting to prevent page content from continuing to scale UP past a maximum fixed width on wide Desktop browser windows.

This was a default behavior in the “classic” Editor: site content was automatically fixed to a reasonable 980px width, regardless of how wide the user’s Desktop browser window was.

I, along with a lot of other people, design (and browse the web) on a 4K monitor with a full-width browser. The default fixed width for content in “classic” Editor allowed for a very fair line-length for paragraph text to enable easy reading, and kept paragraph font sizes intact for legibility. Automatically scaling this content to larger and larger sizes in wider Desktop browser windows in Studio turns both content and navigation menus into massive, cartoonish elements that seriously compromise a site’s design and usability. I honestly couldn’t believe that this was default behavior in Studio.

The “classic” Editor setup seemed ideal: content would by default fit to a 980px width, but you could choose to Stretch specific content to the full browser width—and not scale it proportionally to massive sizes.

When I learned that there was a newer, more advanced platform called Wix Studio available, I tried rebuilding my site in it. While I understand Studio is all about building responsive sites, it seems like the responsive behavior backend was focused on the best ways to scale down content to tablet and mobile sizes, but scaling up content to wider Desktop browser window is, to me—as a beginner with Wix Editor and Wix Studio—a nightmare to deal with.

Elements seemed to randomly grow in size, or fly off the page in one direction or another. Trying to figure out the right responsive behavior for each and every element on every single page was not only tedious and unintuitive, it felt like trying to herd cats; like an overwhelming, confusing, chore. And the design my site is super simple. The AI tool for generating responsive behaviors didn’t fair any better than me trying to do it manually.

I spent a few days straight wrestling with Sections, Containers, Responsive Behaviors, Scaling, Advanced Scaling, Stacks, custom CSS code, Reddit threads, trying to post here for help, etc. Nothing I tried allowed me to simply recreate the default site behavior as it existed in the classic Editor. And most importantly, I wasn’t making any progress developing my site or its content. Eventually I gave up in frustration.

In fact, I decided I would need to abandon Wix Studio and went back to Wix Editor, and am now almost finished building my site. Even though I had only used Wix Editor for a few days as a new user, it immediately felt easier and more straightforward and intuitive to use—and I could return to focusing on my site content and design, rather than wrestling with the editing platform.

I have to say, with all the impressive new bells and whistles Wix Studio brings to the table, it just doesn’t feel “fun” to use like Wix Editor does. There’s no joy in it. It feels more like a developer tool, and less like a platform for visual designers to create a site without coding. It got way too complicated, and now feels too much like Webflow, which I also found to be over my head as a non-developer. As a new user, I missed the window on even trying Editor X, as it was retired in favor of Wix Studio before I even signed up for Wix, so I don’t know if Editor X would have been more “my speed” as a visual designer or not.

I understand that Studio is the future of Wix and eventually every site will have to move to it, but by the time that policy is enforced, I really hope Wix is ready to offer a seamless migration tool to port sites with their design behaviors intact to the new platform.

And please, please let it retain the fixed width of content on wider Desktop browser windows.

3 Likes

@thinksinc Hey! Moved this over to the Wishlist category so we can note it for the team.

I have seen past discussion about this. If you are familiar with CSS you may be able to follow the tips mentioned in this thread: Set max width for an entire page/section (Wix Studio). Otherwise, please don’t hesitate to submit your idea to become an official feature request! Head on over to the Product Roadmap and click the ‘Request a Feature’ button.

If you didn’t previously have experience with our first fully responsive platform, Editor X, then going from Wix Editor to Studio will be a little bit of a learning curve. We do offer many resources to help with this stage, and the Studio Academy is a great place to start: Wix Studio Academy

Keep in mind, you can still enjoy all the benefits of the Studio workspace but continue to edit your sites with the Classic Editor (you do not have to use the Studio editor if you prefer not to).

Thanks Pamela. I did try using the custom CSS code listed in that thread, but it didn’t work for me. I think we’ll need a more substantial, built-in solution from Wix, rather than relying on external code to work around it.

1 Like

Hi all,
I’ve noticed that the request is also on the project roadmap - very good to know and good to have, thank you!

One small thing, though - would it be possible to implement a maximum fixed width for sections, not just pages or the entire site? This would allow some sections with e.g. large images to still scale up and use the entire viewport width, while text sections could be prevented from doing so (which, as OP mentions, leads to giant text blocks).

Is there a chance that this could be added to the request (if it’s not already planned to work this way anyway) or should I submit it as its own request?

1 Like

@Tim_Ai If the current feature request does get implemented, I am not quite sure if it will be for entire pages, sections, or both. I will absolutely note this request! If you’re a Studio user, I would still recommend that you submit the section request through the ‘Request a Feature’ button. :+1:

1 Like

Hey! This is now a feature request and is already in the ‘Planned’ stage! If you follow it, you’ll be notified via email once it’s implemented: Studio Editor Request: Setting the Max Width Value of a Site

1 Like