Changing domain to WIX

Question:
[Clearly ask your question.]
Is it best to connect my new Wix website to an existing domain and then do a transfer or should I skip the connect step and just do the transfer?
Product:
I am using the Wix Editor.

What are you trying to achieve:
The old website is in wordpress and uses dreamhost and IT Melbourne as the registrar. I rewrote it in the Wix Editor and want to have the existing URL point to the new WIX application. I’d like to minimize downtime and eventually stop using Dreamhost to cut out the redundant hosting cost.

What have you already tried:
I looked at " Transferring a Domain Purchased Elsewhere to Wix" in Wix Support Area. Very helpful - but not sure which way to go…

Uhhh

I’m pretty sure it’s the same thing?

Connecting to a domain or transferring to a domain.

Same thing.

Not exactly the same thing:

Transferring → Wix takes ownership of the domain; all Settings of the Domain are in your Wix Dashboard.

Connecting → You use an external Domain-Provider (GoDaddy, etc.) and connect your domain via Pointing/DNS.

I was advised by Wix Customer care to connect first and once the site is live, do the transfer. This will minimize downtime, as transfers can take up to a week to take affect. After transfer, I’ll be able to eliminate payment to my domain provider and hosting service.

It’s usually way cheaper to keep your domain at your domain provider instead of hosting via Wix.

I am saving money on hosting, at least for two years - I was able to get Wix 50% off on sale for two years, and I will shortly be terminating Dreamhost. Even at full price Wix is only about $5/mo more and I am getting a site I can maintain much easier than the Wordpress software I inherited. I don’t know if I’ll go ahead and do the transfer. The registrar who has the domain has a nominal charge; Wix charges only slightly more.