How to Charge Clients

How can I implement yearly charges for clients after initially charging them a one-time fee to design their website on Wix?

I typically charge my clients a one-time fee for the initial website design. However, there is also a yearly renewal fee to keep the website live. In South Africa, my average price for a basic website is R15,000 ($820). The challenge is that if I charge clients a renewal fee each year without providing additional work, it may not be perceived as cost-effective, and clients may be hesitant to sign up. Any advice on navigating this situation?

What do you mean by “without providing additional work”?

Of course clients have to pay your expenses (i.e. for Wix Premiumplans, Domain, etc.) That’s the industry-standard.

Hi Valentin,

I sometimes design a once off website and charge a fixed price. It means I do not have to change the website in say two years time. If I do I charge a hourly fee. It is frowned upon if I charge more after a year when I have to renew the plan. It cost about $160 per year to renew. So if I charge $1000 to design a website it cost $160 to keep the website live every year. So I have to work that in somehow because on the long run it is not cost effective. Hope my reasoning makes sense. $1000 is what people are prepared to pay in South Africa for a basic website. If I have to charge a further $160 per year I will not get sales.

Well if the situation is that bad, I wouldn’t recommend using Wix for your purposes, since the renewal prices are high indeed (at least for some countries standards).

What you could do is “leasing” your Website → You get recurring revenue and can work in the renewal fee. Meaning your clients have to pay i.e. 300$ / Year. Then after 3-4 years, you can try to sell (lease) a redesign.