Problem with the new 2024 tariffs

Hello @noahlovell ,

Further to the new announcements on the CMS, do you know when the new quota will be put online so that we can have a clear vision?

Beyond that, I have a concern, which is shared by other developers, regarding the premium plans we sell to our customers. Given that the free plans will reach 10,000 elements in the future update, I assume that the “Plus” and “Standard” plans will see their CMS quota increased since the price is higher? Would it be possible for you to make a summary of the new quota according to the price plans? (This was the main concern of the developers).

I agree with most developers that the difference between 10,000 and 100,000 items is far too great, and this has been the main topic of our discussions. The free plan has never really been a problem.

On the other hand, the “plus” plan is problematic because the difference in quota between the two is far too great…

I assume that WIX has taken this problem into account and increased the quota, because this problem has been raised by all the developers and it’s important that it’s corrected. The problem is that I don’t see any communication about the plus plan in mails and conferences.

Have a nice day,
Lucas

2 Likes

Hey Lucas! :wave:

The “change” in quotas should be live, but I’ll outline them below which hopefully should make things a little clearer.

CMS changes:

• Partners and Studio creators now get 10,000 CMS items and 50 collections during the creation phase of their sites (free sites)
  • If you’re on the Elite (Studio) or Business Elite (Wix) you can purchase custom CMS quotas if you’ve reached the maximum on those plans. (If you’re on a lower plan and reached the limit, you’ll need to jump up to the next plan)

Other Velo limits that changed:

• We’re also removing Velo limits for monthly read and write requests and dashboard pages on all Wix and Wix Studio Premium plans
  • Automatic and manual backups, Logging with Google operations and Secrets have all been increased to match the highest-tier plans.

Hope that makes sense. Let me know if you have any questions :slight_smile:

1 Like

As I wrote above, the “plus” plan is problematic because the difference in quota between the two is far too great…

I assumed that WIX had taken this problem into account and increased the quota, as this problem has been raised by all developers and it is important that it be corrected. I have the impression that this aspect has been forgotten, and unfortunately and as the developers have explained we can’t charge our customers $178 a month for 100,000 collection items. I sincerely believe that the “Plus” plan should reach 30,000 or even 50,000 items.

4 Likes

Totally agree, @noahlovell , is there any plan in the near future to upgrade the proportional price tag for CMS Quota between Plus and Elite, which is 5 to 1, so CMS quota should be at least 20k? Additionally, are there any upcoming updates or changes in the short term regarding the limit on the number of items allowed in the Wix CMS? Any information on this would be greatly appreciated, as it would help in planning and scaling our projects accordingly. Thanks for your attention to this matter.

2 Likes

I have the impression that our main problem hasn’t been solved, emna staff I’d like an increase in the quota that would match the price I’m paying because $38 for only 10,000 items is really not much, especially knowing that the EditorX plans included 10GB of DB storage which is really very, very far from 10,000 items.

And beyond that, how impossible will it be for me to sell a $178 package given that some of my clients only want the storage part and not the rest, and even the $38 one means I’ll have to explain to them 5 times the price for options they’ll never use? It doesn’t make sense. @noahlovell I would sincerely like to discuss an increase in the “Plus” and “Standard” package quotas that would follow the logic of the free package increase.

The Standard could be placed on top of the free package quota to avoid creating problems and illogical concepts in terms of subscription.
The Plus could be placed halfway between the Standard and the Elite to enable us to sell packages to our customers, which unfortunately is still not possible today because of this limit !

1 Like

@JessCK @Breakscape I’m taking the liberty of tagging you here to ask you what you think of the fact that the limitations of the “Plus” and “Standard” plans have not been raised, even though they were one of the main problems ?

1 Like

@noahlovell Looks like we might need you to open up a discussion on this again. Is there any way we could have a direct mediation with the decision-makers on this? Continually bothering you via the forum seems to work, but it feels like a very roundabout way of dealing with this and results in a tough time for you, which isn’t fair. Could you ask about setting up a meeting between Wix and Devs that are invested in this discussion please?

I think I’ve communicated my point on the other threads, but I’d like to keep this as the main topic on the forum as it affects so many of us. In brief, the main points that we still want addressed are:

• Limiting CMS use on your most popular plan greatly limits what Wix sites are capable of
  • CMS limits are not the industry standard, can we please go back to Editor X’s data usage quotas instead, as this is the typical metric for database providers.
  • Failing that, we’re still not satisfied with the very low 10K items as a limit for the Plus plan, which costs our clients ~CAD$500/year. 50K items would be more reasonable.
  • In line with that, please recognise that none of our clients need the features in Elite, other than the CMS limit increase. Please don’t use that as a bargaining chip to make our customers (who are already invested in this platform) pay 5x more than what they pay now - forcing us to sell it to them too.
  • Increases on free plans are of no interest to your key multi-site developer ‘Partners’ that deal in premium plans.

If other developers have other requests, they can add them here too.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tag @Lucas_TREILLE and great summation @Breakscape.

Personally, I think the bullet point that has even greater implications is the one regarding the significantly larger added cost for CMS limit increases and how that will impact the end-user/clients. As Breakspace said:

“In line with that, please recognise that none of our clients need the features in Elite, other than the CMS limit increase. Please don’t use that as a bargaining chip to make our customers (who are already invested in this platform) pay 5x more than what they pay now - forcing us to sell it to them too.”

A 5x price increase to get what a client ALREADY HAS will not be acceptable to end clients.

My suggestions are:

1. Find a way to “match” the pricing for grandfathered sites (sites and clients accounts that already exist), because ultimately end-clients will leave our developers and thus our developers will leave Wix.

2. Switch to data usage instead of items (as Breakspace mentioned). It’s ridiculous to pay such high rates for a collection item limit, especially when many collections will only need a few columns but thousands of rows (items), thus the items themselves take up very limited data storage.

3. Perhaps offer an “a la carte” CMS increase option that can be added-on to all levels of Premium plans, so that we can choose the plan features that best fit our needs, AND we can scale our CMS with a “pay as you scale” add-on. For example, start with:

• Basic plan: 10k items (though it would be better to use GB, so perhaps start with 10GB?)
  • Standard plan: 25k items
  • Plus plan: 50k items
  • Elite plan: 100k items

THEN, no matter which plan you choose, offer a CMS item add-on package that allows us to pay per additional 10k items, or whatever add-on level makes sense (bonus if you allow CMS auto-scaling on our sites so it scales up when we get within 500 items of our limit and simply charges our account).

This allows our clients to get the features they need (with whichever base plan they choose) WHILE allowing for greater scaleability and expense forecasting by only paying for additional CMS items as their CMS needs grow. Plus, that’s something we can more easily explain to clients and (hopefully) they will understand.

Thoughts?

4 Likes

Totally agree, thanks for adding your thoughts here too.

I think your point of offering an “a la carte” CMS increase option is especially relevant too. Being told that you can buy more after you hit the cap is quite different to actually seeing what that looks like. If the only option is to buy another 100K for +$100/mo (as an example), then Wix offering add ons is not helpful.

3 Likes

Thank you @Breakscape and @JessCK for your feedback! I really wish WIX would return to a GO-based CMS system like their competitor. However, I believe they may struggle with handling the data quantity, as the limit was already unclear on editorX. Ideally, the limit should be in GO with a live counter displayed in the CMS for everyone’s benefit.

If WIX increased the limit on free plans, it makes sense for higher plans to follow suit. WIX demonstrates that hosting 10,000 elements on their server costs them little or nothing, given the minimal weight of this data.

Considering each line’s weight is limited to 500 KB and with a maximum of 10,000 elements, a “plus” plan can store up to 5 GB (500 KB * 10,000 elements = 5,000,000 KB or 5 GB). This calculation assumes every line weighs the maximum, which is rarely the case. WIX should understand this issue at this point.

If I have a mapping table with 10,000 lines and minimal impact on WIX’s costs, why should I be forced to pay $178 per month for unused options?

I could provide numerous examples, but the January conference did not resolve the problem. I genuinely hope WIX hears us! This weekend, I’ll start testing a different storage solution than WIX, aiming to choose the smallest plan for my clients without deceiving them.

This process will take several weeks, and I hope for a positive response from WIX. Additionally, I reported “internal error” issues with WIX DATA API calls in posts and to customer service. These errors occur frequently during API calls for reading or writing, and I haven’t received a real solution or investigation. When inserting data into multiple databases, I need to rely on the WIX DATA API, which is currently unreliable…

2 Likes

@noahlovell, Sorry to pull you into this issue once again, but now there has been a couple of days of feedback on the latest update on this, are you able to confirm if our concerns will be fed back to the people in charge of these decisions?

2 Likes

Beyond simply passing on information, I think it’s important that WIX takes this problem seriously and that we stop dancing around it, I really can’t understand these changes to storage limits… In my eyes, it’s not complicated to listen to customers who use the service, I do it all day long, and changes are applied, especially when problems are reported by dozens of people… I’m not talking about @noahlovell or @pamela here, but about WIX, which seems to be sweeping this issue under the carpet…

1 Like

Hey!

Just want to say that I haven’t forgotten or missed this conversation. I wanted to give some time for others to give their insights; knowing that they had been tagged in the conversation.

As always, I’ll be sure to share this with the team - but take into consideration that it’s coming up to the weekend, so it might take a few days before there are any ‘eyes on’.

I know the changes announced in the Open Studio event took a little while to come about, but to the point about direct mediation I’m not going to say it’s out of the question, nor promise it’ll happen. However, note that these changes were discussed after also talking to several developers offline on calls.

Give me some time to chat with the teams :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I understand that it takes time to discuss this with the team, but we have been talking about it for months. Of course, we fully understand that the weekend is approaching and the teams will only address the issue next week. However, like most developers, I would like to avoid it taking more months, considering how much we anticipate these changes and the disappointment caused by WIX’s announcement.

Beyond that, I understand that discussions have taken place with developers outside the platform, but this doesn’t justify ignoring the dozens of requests regarding quotas made by dozens of developers on the forum.

As of today, WIX must be well aware that the changes made to quotas do not solve the problem, given that the quotas for the premium plus and standard plans have not been increased.

We are pleased with the removal of quotas, but those were not the only requests. And it’s not for nothing that the subject is coming up again today, and as you’ve seen, it will continue like this until the WIX teams make a logical choice for the plans. I don’t want to have to deceive my clients. Some of them are starting to consider changing platforms after I informed them about the future CMS updates. And what’s certain is that I won’t lose clients.

Beyond that, I will continue to advocate for the interests of developers, especially when our main demand is not being heard.

I sincerely hope that all of this will happen faster than the last time to save time for everyone, knowing that it’s not a difficult decision to make, as it is in everyone’s interest.

1 Like

Hello,

Thank you for the efforts on both sides to find a solution that makes sense.

This solution suggested earlier appears to be consistent with both Wix’s and the active developers agendas.

It seems to align efficiently with the recent plans updates while making it easier for everyone to absorb the cost of scaling progressively.

Thankful for the attention and care you all put in improving this great platform.

Best
Noe

@JessCK

2 Likes

Hello, thank you for your feedback. I don’t think WIX will switch to GO even if it’s the most logical solution… Anyway, beyond that, the solution proposed by @JessCK is the most logical and above all it corresponds to the new direction WIX has taken for its CMS.

There can’t be such a huge gap between price and number of elements.

I’ll be doing an article a little later that will show the number of times we’ve raised the issue of this limit, so that everyone can see that it’s not a personal desire but a request from all the developers!

2 Likes

Hello @noahlovell,

To give you a clearer idea of the problem of limiting the number of elements, here is the space occupied by one of my sites in the CMS.

All my collections together reach 8,500 items, but they only weigh 24 MB out of 10 GB! As it says, I’m using 0.23% of the storage allotted to me. If tomorrow the limit is raised to 10,000 items, I’ll be using 85% of my allotted space!

As you can see, this makes absolutely no sense! It’s not for nothing that developers complain!

5 Likes

I agree, it’s a big issue for development…
If we want to work on big scale sites we might find it an issue starting a new project with WIX.

-it has to be simple!-

for example: on AWS you pay automatically by usage, and the cost is reasonable. No one wants to find out that he missed a notification and therefore his site lost (or didn’t save) an important data…

5 Likes

Great example @Lucas_TREILLE !! Providing actual site data provides compelling real-world examples that show tangible consequences that impact both the developer and the end-client.

In your example alone, your collections use (on average*) 2.82 MB per 1,000 items.

Thus, under the NEW Wix Studio plans, your allotted CMS storage per the new collection item numbers would be:

• Basic plan ($19USD/month): 1,500 items = 4.23 MB
  • Standard plan ($27USD/month): 4,000 items = 11.28MB
  • Plus plan ($34USD/month): 10,000 items = 28.2 MB (which is 0.28% of 10GB)
  • Elite plan: ($159USD/month): 100,000 items = 282 MB

So, by Wix changing from 10GB to 10,000 CMS items for the equivalent of the new Plus plan, they’ve dropped the maximum CMS storage for your site from 10GB to 28.2MB, which means Wix has dropped the CMS storage for your site by 99.7%!!!**

Definitely weigh in on my approach, assumptions, and calculations (see below for more), and I’d be happy to amend my post to more accurately describe the impact of this change. Ultimately, I think the more we can show the wix team the IMPACT their changes are having on our actual sites, the better they’ll be able to see WHY we need these CMS storage issues addressed.

Thoughts?

Assumptions & Calculations

*I’m stating ‘on average’ here simply assuming that not all of your collections have the same number of columns, and thus any drill-down metrics calculated from your aggregate 8,500 items = 24MB would be more accurately viewed as a relative calculation.

** Percent Change = (Original - New)/Original* 100 = (10GB - 0.0282GB)/10GB*100 = 99.7%

4 Likes

I’m struggling to comprehend the limitations of the CMS, and it’s crucial for me to grasp this understanding to effectively communicate it to my clients. A limitation of 10k doesn’t seem substantial, but selling a solution with restricted scalability raises concerns. I’m puzzled by the discrepancy – why would a client using 5GB of storage and 20k CMS data consume fewer resources than someone using 9GB with 1k CMS data?

Wix, I need your guidance on explaining these intricacies to my clients, especially when I lack clarity on the pricing structure. How can I convey the concept of scalability without precise pricing information? It feels challenging to inform clients that, for example, having 11k database entries would incur a hosting cost of €2000 per year. This seems steep, especially when alternatives like Firebase offer scalable solutions at a seemingly more reasonable rate. Please provide insight on how to navigate and communicate these complexities effectively.

Please checkout Firebase Pricing

With that pricing i would be able to save millions of database entries with google firebase…

I mean sure you are not paying for database only with wix but still imho you would have to add one zero to make it make sense

For 179€ i would want to be able to store 1 million cms data, and instead I would be ok to to pay for extra GB. Extra gb is easier to sell to myclients!

BUT WHY DOES WIX NOT OVER A PAY AS YOU GO OPTION INSTEAD.

Lets say somebody is totally happy with limitations on plus except cms data:
Why shuldnt this client be able t jut buy anther 100k cms data for 10 usd.

If the cms data does not contain any images i am pretty sure the ressources that will be added are not even 10gb. 10€ for 10gb would be already expensive. But easier for agencies to explain to clients.

3 Likes